~To Catch a Wave~

The urge to try surfing has been like a steady, dull hum in my head. Everyday I hear that hum - try it, try it, try it. Today I finally answered that call.

Whoa! It was a fantastic experience!

When I'd hear surfers say "Dude, when you're out there, you're one with nature," I could never relate. I end up saying, yeah, whatever and so quickly dismiss them as airheads. I never thought I would agree with that statement until today.

It was awesome to literally ride the waves. The surprising part to me was, it was a no-brainer. I just went out there feeling the waves and feeling the balance on the board. It was fun.

It was a perfect beginner's ride. As usual it was cloudy at the coast, with some wind. I was mostly scared of the cold water, but it didn't turn out that way. The wetsuit helped but overall, the water was just right. And the temperature outside the water was in perfect combination. The waves were perfect for a beginner. My instructors were 2 young (so young I was embarrassed to write down my age on the information sheet)lads who were very patient (and cute).

With each wave I rode, I just became stronger and more confident. It was unbelievable that in the first hour I was standing on the board. I gave myself until the end of this first lesson to do that, but there I was. It was great!

Surfing is all about timing, balance and fun. I will definitely do it again.

Ha! I can finally cross off one in my summer list.

Comments

Popular Posts