Easter 2006

Today is Good Friday here in cloudy California. It is my Friday off. I am glad.

The Lenten season just passed me by. This season is marked by a feeling of being more of a spectator than a participant as I usually am. There was a feeling of disconnect between God & I. It was ignited by the change I had with my new work. I didn't get to go to mass in the morning before doing anything else. I went to mass instead at midday. It was different saying, "Hi God! Thank you for the morning. I hope the afternoon goes well." I'm still trying ot get used to it.

Then this nasty cough came and stayed. There were days when I just wanted to sleep instead of going to mass, days of feeling just weak and blah. Plus, I didn't want to be constantly coughing in an almost empty church at noon with old folks around. I didn't want to be the cause of their bad health. So, I missed a lot of days without mass, always praying He would understand.

I didn't miss a day without prayer, though. It has lessened considerably and it feels different. If it weren't for my rosary CD which I play driving to work and my dad's daily email reflections, I wasn't praying as I used to. I didn't participate much in the Lenten service at church. I did not attend a single Friday night Way of the Cross this season. Again mostly because of the cough. On the Fridays I was off, I just wanted to hibernate in my bed to kill this cough. I wass literally tired from coughing.

Then there are my "kids". I have not been to catechism class since January of this year. This I charge mostly to traffic. The other day I went straight home from work and it took me 2 hours to get home. Class starts at 7Pm not 7:30. Grrrr. It is such a waste of time and gas.

Confession is something I haven't done this season. My church puts together a reconciliation service with many priests during Advent and Lent. I charge this once more to traffic, and probably the rain. Now with Easter around the corner, all I see are when confessions are NOT heard. Oh well.

Feeling a little better today, I resolved to go to church and do the Way of the Cross. At least I can say I did it once this season. I got there in time for morning prayers - a plus! I particicpated in the prayers and then proceeded with the Way of the Cross. It was wonderful to be reminded of why we are here on earth.

As soon I was done, I felt a little better. I literally saw a light bulb turn on and I was instantly on high. It was Fr. Huy's confessional, he was in it. My, oh my. Even if I feel a disconnect, my faith has not wavered. He is still watching over me.

This Lenten season I have walked the Way of the Cross and participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I am more ready for Easter than I can ever be.

Comments

Popular Posts