That's Entertainment!

Last nite I was glued to the television watching the BET 2005 Awards. Granted the awards portion of the show was non-existent (7 out of 14 honorees were not present), they produced a very entertaining show!

The first performance of the night caught me like glue. It was the Fugees' first ever performance after breaking up. They performed a medley of their songs and brought the audience up on their feet. The Fugees have not been together for a long time and this came as a shock to everyone. A good one, too.

John Legend performed his hit "Ordinary People". In the middle of the performance, the lights on stage left came on and Stevie Wonder started playing with him! They also sang "My Cherie Amor" mixing the two songs seamlessly. Amazing! To see two talented people up on stage performing their hearts out, live. If I were John Legend , I would be so honored! I was hooked.

Destiny's Child performed what they are saying may be one of their last. At the middle of their perfomance they picked out 3 men from the audience - Magic Johnson, Nelly, and actor Terence Howard - sat them onstage and performed a sterile lap dance. Amusing.

Mariah Carey performed, too. Don't like her but I like her songs. Her voice was raspy. It was a blah performance of "We Belong Together".

Then I caught the part where they honored Gladys Knight with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Toni Braxton & Faith Evans started off by singing some of her songs. After her thank you speech, Glady Knight brought the house on its feet again with her performance of 3 songs - "If I was Your Woman", "Neither One of Us", and "Midnight Train to Georgia". Here I found myself dancing in the dark living room just enjoying the moment. It was so much fun.

I had to force myself to turn the television off. It was way past my bedtime - 10.30 pm. but I had fun. I can't wait to watch the whole show again when they replay it sometime this weekend. That's great entertainment!

Comments

Popular Posts