Revlon Run/Walk 2005

I've always wanted to go. But I didn't know anyone to go with. This year I had the opportunity and I grabbed it with both hands. Ressi, my co-worker, is a cancer survivor. She's been cancer free for some years now ans has been walking for a couple of years. I joined her, with her sister and another friend on this 5 K walk around Los Angeles.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was a cool spring morning, a perfect day for a walk. I didnt know what to expect. You hear about fundraisers like this all too often. The pleas for funds are the same everywhere - "This is for a good cause," "It is a great help to people in need," blah, blah, blah, blah.... Unless you participate, all the sounds you hear are just sounds.

I was in awe of my surroundings. I've never been to the Coliseum before. It had a majestic presence. I couldn't believe I was in the same place where the Los Angeles Olympics took place years ago. The oblations - there were 2! A naked man and a woman standing tall with their arms outstretched. It reminded me of U.P. and our ever famous oblation.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then the sheer mass of people took my breath away. There was just so many - right, left, front, back - everywhere! Astonishingly, everyone was organized in teams or little groups. It was an organized chaos (well, except when it came to the water stations & the TV cameras).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyone walking had a reason to walk. This is where it hit me. As I put one feet in front of the other, I start reading the backs of the people in front of me. They are walking for their mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, friend, co-worker, and themselves. Whether they just came out of chemotheraphy or have been in remission for some time, they were there.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I first heard of Revlon Run/Walk, they were focused on breast cancer. Now it is for all women's cancers. Still I saw some walking for or in memory of their dads, sons, brothers, grandfathers. It just showed me that disease knows no gender, color, race, or nationality.

Even more amazing was the fact that when we all reached the finish line, everyone received snacks and a medallion for the walk. My experience as an event coordinator tells me the amount of time, effort and manpower put into this envent was enormous. My mind is blown away!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As we sit, eat and rest at the Coliseum, we were accompanied by a wonderful band. They provided so much energy through their upbeat old school R & B that people were dancing wherever they were. It was so much fun! I can't wait for May 2006.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments

  1. hey renee!

    it was nice catching up with you via AIM. nice blog- keep on posting! do check out mine too :)

    cheers and take care

    agu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts