Celebrations

There are a lot of celebrations in my life this season. There is the obvious permanent position at the job, the new home, the new found friends, and the new direction my life is taking.

I'd like to take this space to celebrate other people in my life.

My dear, dear friend Annagar is so near yet so far away from me. Yet we manage to stay connected one way or another. A few weeks ago, she drops the date December 21. I said, for what? It is the day they've decided to tie the knot. Nothing spectacular by Filipino standards, as they are only standing in front of the judge at city hall, but nonetheless, they're taking the plunge. The party will not be until about the same time next year. Still, congratulations! are in order. Here's wishing both of you a life full of love, happiness, and success!

MG is one of my new dear friends from work. I liked him since I met him and we've hit it off gracefully. We can disagree on things and joke about it at the same time. We tease each other and watch out for each other's back like siblings. I was glad to have had an opportunity to meet his long time girlfriend. As usual, my Barbara Walters side came out, sans the mic and lights, and I started interrogating her (putting aside the fact that I've only known MG less than a year while they've been together for five). But I ended up liking her. She's a really sweet gal.

I got wind a few weeks ago that MG was preparing to pop the question. I've been trying to squeeze the info from him but he wouldn't divulge it, only saying that it’s in the works. At the same time, his girlfriend confided to me that as they enter their 6th year together, she wants the relationship to move up to the next level.

Thursday was our City Holiday party. For the first time ever, MG's girlfriend came to the party. They arrived at the party a few minutes early. MG, seizing the opportunity, asked her to take a little walk with him at the beach and watch the sunset. At first she squirmed at the fact that her toes were going to be cold, but eventually agreed. True to his form, MG wasted no time in delivering his lines. Like a gentleman, he dropped down to his knees and asked her. The ring is brilliantly perfect. I was elated when she greeted me with a bejeweled right hand. Congratulations!

A few days ago, we've added another pair of testicles to our family (hence, the Lucena name continues). My cousin LL had a baby boy. I have yet to see this bundle of joy, but I'm sure he is one good looking male. Congratulations!

Yesterday, I received a wonderful surprise at my door. I was surprised to hear my doorbell ring as I was not expecting anyone. UPS hand delivered a package for me. It was a box of chocolates from my parents! I had no idea. All of a sudden I missed everyone back in Manila. It was a great start to Christmas. Thank you!

And today is Christmas Eve. I am just staying home tonight on my first Christmas at my new home. Just the way I like it. There are no signs of the season in my home. I didn't put any decorations up. Yet, it feels more like Christmas than any year. Family and friends have a deeper meaning for me this time around. Life looks a lot better, too.

Merry Christmas to all!

Comments

Popular Posts