See

Eight thirty is what the clock reads. Oh how time flies!

As I stand up and gather my pink notebook and fancy writing instruments, I see my teacher walk up to me. She is dutifully checking on the new student, asking how my first class was. I nod and smile and offer a feeble, "Okay." In truth, her dark golden champagne colored hair mesmerizes me, drawing my gaze like a magnet. How'd she get that color? Is it a combination of colors? Or is it called chestnut color?

The glare of her silver pendant catches my eye. How unique! It is shaped like a human - who is it? What was the artist’s inspiration? Did someone pose for the pendant? Did they pose nude? "Yes, I'm excited about the class," I utter, as I snap out of my reverie.

In the familiar confines of my black car, I switch the knob that illuminates the dashboard. A green nine, zero, zero my clock reads. Oh how time flies!

The view from my rearview mirror echoes my thoughts, people scurrying to their cars, headlights approaching making a beeline for the street. More cars line the road, as I make my way down the hill. A white four-door sedan on my right, followed by a blue honky-tonk Suburban, then an emerald green Mitsubishi sports coupe glistens in the lamp-lighted street. Yuck! Who in the earth-Whoa! I’m glad I saw that lady in the silver sports car open her car door. Or else tragedy! What was she thinking? Or wasn’t thinking I should say. I think Driver's Ed classes should include a lesson on opening car doors on busy streets. Similar to how parents teach children how to cross a street - Look left, and right, then cross, the Driver's Ed version would be - Look left and back, then open the door. Then the entire world would be a better place. Yeah right!

I shake my head and laugh at myself as I watch the red Stop sign become bigger in my view. As I pause at the intersection and watch the white Explorer make its turn, my thoughts wander again. Whoever invented the Stop sign must either be a real genius, or really tired of arguing with people at intersections. Whatever the reason was, it is a revolutionary concept in road courtesy. I’ve been to a few countries around the world and this octagonal red sign is there too! Amazing! It has become a universal sign that asks people to do a similar action all over the globe. Stop. Ah the world in harmony! What a beautiful thing!

As my car lurches forward, I set my sights on the triple-decker illumination we have dubbed the Stop light. Now this is progress. A while back, I just had a glimpse of its older sibling, standing proudly, but alone in the corner. Modern technology has gone a long way. Red is now accompanied by yellow and green, permanent friends. They are held up high atop a pole, commanding a presence. Now, changing lights also put people in action, just as I do, now that I see the light turn green.

I notice the road turn darker just as I pass by the last lamp post. It is funny how light changes perception. I wouldn’t walk down a dark street, but illuminate it with light and I will happily hop along, not ever realizing it is the same old dark street. It is the same advice women hear when applying make up. Different light give different effect. I’m sure light manufacturers have and continue to capitalize on women’s vanity. And I’m sure a lot of women generously contribute to these manufacturer’s bank accounts, simultaneously driving their partners insane in requesting to change perfectly functioning light bulbs. What women will do to look good!

Nine seven the clock now reads. Oh how time flies! Now I am home as I watch my garage door open. I see. I see.

Comments

Popular Posts