Authors

I've been bitten by the book bug. I've been constantly reading again. I say again because there have been dry spells. I just finished another book Saturday and was immediately saddened when I realized I didn't have another one to start. And the library was closed!

This last book was Cause Celeb by Helen Fielding. It's not a new book. But I picked it up because of the author. She wrote Bridget Jones' Diary and its sequel, The Edge of Reason. She's a modern writer with a sense of humor. She appeals to the sensibilities of my age group. Her characters are real but there is always a side that is a bit incredulous. But the truth of the matter is, we are all like that, each with our own quirks. I've read her latest book, Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination. In the same style as the others, she has a character that at first glance, is just like any one of us. Very imperfect, yet living everyday as best she can, putting that one foot in front of the other in her journey of life. Still the character has a very quirky imagination which is her flaw and her saving grace at the same time. Again, humanly relatable, but on the edge.

Amy Tan is another favorite author. I've read all her novels - Joy Luck Club, Kitchen God's Wife, The Hundred Secret Senses, Bonesetter's Daughter, The Opposite of Fate. The only books I haven't read are her children's books. She is a little more complex in her storytelling. Hers is a style that paints a picture. Her characters aren't as simple either. And you, as a reader accompany all of them throughout their lifetimes - their peaks and valleys, highs and lows. Hers is a tale that transcends generations. She invokes feelings deep within a person and manages to make you feel them, too. In reading her latest book, The Opposite of Fate, I learned that her life is as complex (the source of all her ideas), especially that mother-daughter relationship she had. I look forward to the next one.

I stumbled upon Louis Edrich. When I picked up the book, I didn't even know the gender of the author. She was a she. The book is Four Souls. It peaked my curiosity because it involves different people, Native American Indians and Colonials, and wanted to find out how their lives intertwined and untangled. What I got was a tale full of secrets cleverly revealed at appropriate moments that only helped that steep climb of a climax. And the ending is a testimony that there is a purpose in every person, every event that comes into our lives. The loose threads that started this tale was beautifully tied together in the end. I look forward to reading some of her other works. And Tan praises her work in The Opposite of Fate.

I picked up 3 books agian today from the library. I will be living in the world of Marvin Gaye, following a cello, and imagining the lifestyles of geishas.

Comments

Popular Posts