2, 3, 1 - Walk!

The walk has come and gone.

I have no pictures to show everyone. I forgot my camera. It was early on Saturday morning, ok.

I was there. We were early this time. We got free parking at USC. We actually experienced the start of the walk and counted down with everybody. As before the whole scene captured me. As you walk with everyone, you get to read why people participated - in support of their mom, grandma, auntie, friends; in memory of their mom, grandma, auntie friends. It was touching.

It was poignant to watch this mass of people walk through the American flag hanging between two firetruck ladders on opposite sides of the street. There were firemen standing on top of the fire trucks watching people go by, waving and smiling. A few walkers couldn't resist a Kodak moment with them.

There is always something about walking down the middle of an otherwise busy street, having it all to yourself, as if you own it. Pretty liberating.

I always like watching the houses that I pass by. A lot of them were old houses, turn of the century in design. We walked the edge of USC where you see sorority and fraternity houses, reminding you that you were at a college community.

The weather was almost perfect. We started out cloudy, quite gloomy, but very cool and crisp - great for a walk. By the time we hit the half way mark, the sun couldn't resist coming out. Just as we exited the great tunnel of the Los Angeles Coliseum, the sun was showing its might, generating some good heat.

People estimated some 50, 000 in attendance. I really don't know the exact number but I was sure it was more than last year's. It is wonderful to be a part of something bigger than you.

I was able to raise some $610.00 for women's cancer research. Woo hoo! Never raised funds before, so this is a good start.

I'm looking forward to next year's walk - May 12.

Comments

Popular Posts