Work Life

I have been employed a little over 5 weeks already. JBL Professionals is the current culprit. I am in Sales Administration doing a lot of paper work - receiving and entering orders, building containers, shipping them out and constantly communicating with customers. Together with this, I am also in-charge of the Custom Shop - products that need customization for particular customers.

I can't believe I am actually a part of a big company now. I was afraid of big companies that's why I shied away from them. I thought I couldn't stand the politics. But I actually encountered more drama and politics in the small companies I passed through. Headache! I did develop stress headaches from them. And I am one to not have headaches regularly.

The first few days around the campus (yes! they call the lot they are in a campus) I was full of awe. If someone could read my mind, they'd think I was crazy (well I am, but that's another subject). The differences between big and small companies were huge. Let's talk about the breakroom, it is meant for breaks, not breakroom-cum-meeting room-whenever needed. Paper plates, plastic forks, spoons & knives, coffee, tea, cream & sugar are all in stock! No one is there to watch over how many plates you've used! There are 2 refrigerators, 3 microwaves and 2 vending machines.

Cubicles - the symbol of big offices. Yes I am in one. They're hideous with its cold grey color. No privacy as all computers face out. But just one of the little nuances I have to get used to.

I love the freedom of coming to work, doing your work, and leaving. No silent pressure to give out details of your life to be accepted. You share what you want and it's fine. And if I do not feel like listening to other people's lives, its fine, too.

Most everybody comes to work. I mean there will always be people who will shy away from work (petik - hello what do you think I'm doing now?). But so far I haven't seen anyone here who will shy away form their responsibility. Responsibilities are clear cut, the box as people would say, and precise. People are helpful to show me who to go to if in case they can't help. So far, so good.

The restrooms. They are not the one toilet kind. It is now the multiple toilet sort! Stocked with toilet paper and everything you need. No more worries of stolen toilet paper.

A cleaning crew comes in every afternoon to clean the whole place, including picking up your garbage. I used to not throw food stuff in my garbage as I never know when it will be picked up. Or rather, if I had the time to throw out my garbage.

Days off - no more negotiating! Wonderful. Peaceful. And yes I can call in sick without question.

I used to, and still do, laugh at myself when I catch myself comparing. These are silly things, I know. Most importantly now I know there are better things out there. Work life does not need to be difficult. There are companies out there who make life a little easier on their employees. Glad I found one.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:00 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts