Easter 2007

Well it is Easter once again. 40 days of Lent has come to pass. As I look back on these days (and beyond), it has been an interesting ride, marked with a lot of internal struggle.

When Ash Wednesday came, I proudly wore my mark on my forehead. I've noticed I've been stacking on the pride year after year. This season, though, several people, on different occasions, came up to me with one question - "What was I giving up for Lent?" I had one answer for all of them - " Nothing." I was met with the same shocked reaction. I went on to give the following explanation in one shape or another - depending on who was in front of me (not that I was obliged to, but more so for the Catechist in me) -

- The end result of Lent is renewing your spirit and life in Christ. What good is giving up chocolates if you stab people behind their backs? What good is giving up fast food if you continually lie? The focus of Lent is the internal - your heart and soul, not the external.

It was good to start out Lent with this question hurled at me. It gave me an opportunity to correct other people's notion and served as a reminder for me. Back to basics, as I say. Simplified.

So there I was, taking one day at a time. There were days that passed just like regular days and other - oh how I wish it would end soon! Somehow, I had a notion that the season would bring in the drum roll and - poof! change is in the air. Not really. So I continued to go to my regular noon time mass. On several occasion when I'd count my blessings, friends were always on the list to be thankful for. And slowly I realized the constant factor in this blessing list were my friends. I decided to focus on relationship and friends this season. Now that I have good friends around me, it would be a disservice to not nurture them. I released my stronghold requisite of noon day mass and started spending time with friends. I realized I can be with God through them. I learned to listen to their body language and silences. I've learned to read their laughs and sighs. I've learned take it easy when they disappoint you and jump with them in our joys. I've learned how to be a friend.

As a result, I've become more discerning. I've always prided myself in keeping friends - for years and years. Now, I've learned to choose even better. I've learned that there are friendships that "need to die." I've learned that it is OK to say "no" to others. I do not have to be "nice" for the sake of keeping the peace. We can agree to disagree. We can have different points of view. We can have our wires crossed and have a miscommunication once in a while. It is OK to not like someone, and have them not like me, too. It's all OK.

I started the season with nothing, and I came out with perspective, wisdom and friendship. The journey doesn't end with Easter. All these things I take with me, and hope to add more, throughout my journey in life.

Comments

Popular Posts