Life, Love & Health

There are many things going on in my life now and have been going on for the past few weeks. Somehow they can be summarized in 3 words - life, love, & health. These words come in no particular order, it just sounded better to me this way.

----------------------------------------

Two weeks ago I received a call in the office from a co-worker, GV, from theh emergency room. He said he will have to undergo an operation as the doctors found a tumor in his colon. Now, he's been in and out of work two weeks prior due to stomach pains, we just didn't know the cause of it. Long story short, he was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was such a shock to all of us in the office for he has not even reached 40 years old. But mostly, it shocked all of us, including myself, as we've not experienced cancer this close. He is a relatively healthy young man, slim, conscious eater, exercised often. Who would have thought? Some were reminded of the need to take care of one's body, of eating right and exercising.

He was one of those who welcomed me when I was new at the office and we became good friends. We would party, exchange jokes, and eat together. He introduced me to the gym I now go to. It affected me on a very personal level.

As usual, I turned to God once again. I prayed for him and his family. It was a pleasant surprise to see other co-workers come with me to church the day of his operation praying and rooting for him. Ironically, the reading for that day was about vigilant and faithful servants, waiting for the master to come. The priest proceeded to remind us to be vigilant for we do not know when Jesus will come for us. What a day to hear it! What a poignant reminder how fragile life is.

Thanks to the advances in medicine, there is a better chance of him surviving and beating this. The doctors have taken out the tumor from his colon. Since the colon is porous, the small tumors have spread outside the colon. It is a blessing that it has not affected his other vital organs. He will have to undergo aggressive chemotherapy to battle this. It is another blessing that now he has a choice of chemotherapy drugs to help him.

I visited him once at the hospital but found him asleep. I wasn't truly prepared to see him with tubes coming out of his body. The friend I know was not the same. I visited with him last night at his home. He is even thinner than usual, that was to be expected, but his spirits were up. I know my friend is still there, beaten and bruised by the disease but still alive.

He is a changed man. He is overwhelmed by the care and support his family and friends have shown him. He is overwhelmed by the second chance he has on life. I am truly joyful that he is seeking God. I hope God will use me as His instrument in bringing GV and his family closer to Him.

-----------------------------------

Friends are a permanent part of life. I am glad, sad, mad, and afraid of that fact, all at the same time. Friends make life interesting and enjoyable. Since they are individuals with their own personalities, they can break your heart. They can disappoint and confuse you, as well. Whoever enters your life and take up the seat of friends can also be a wonderful surprise. Life can never be without them.

----------------------------------

Being single and unattached is wonderful. I must admit, I have my moments when I wish I had someone to share life with. Undeniably, the freedom of being single is overwhelming, empowering, and enlightening.

I am having fun meeting people in all sorts of ways. I am also having fun choosing who I want to get to know. These past few weeks, I have come to realize that I can choose who to get to know - and that I can say "No, thanks." I've also realized that I do want to be friends first before any other relationship happens. I've also realized that, yeah, I can say "Hi!' first or "Coffee sometime?" and I don't have to fret how they respond. Life goes on.....

Comments

Popular Posts